12/11/2011

Recent Updates!

I'm sorry for not making new blog posts in the past several weeks. I wasn't too busy but thought few people reads this blog, so I wasn't really motivated to continue this blog. But I was apparently wrong! Several friends told me that they do read this blog and were disappointed to see the same old post for a month, so I decided to resume blogging!!! Let me talk about my new neighborhood today, and I will talk about my job in a week or two. ww

By now, I am settled at my new apartment in Ginza. It's actually a very good apartment built as a condominum. and I am probably very lucky to find this place at this rent. Its kitchen is however obviously too small for someone who likes to cook, and it gets a bit noisy occasionally. The apartment itself is very quiet, much quitter than my expectation, but the neighborhood gets a bit noisy on Friday nights. Surprisingly to most of my friends in Seattle, my bed time actually shifted to midnight from being "too early for a yound man", so the noise hasn't become a serious concern yet.

Since my job hasn't killed me yet, I do get to enjoy walking around my neighborhood on weekend. I live in the transition area between a VERY busy commercial area of Ginza and a VERY old area called Shintomicho (新富町). I walk through the commercial area to get to work, so unless I have something to do in Ginza, I normally head down to the old neighborhood for adventure.

There are lots of antique buildings in the neighborhood, and some of them were probably built centuries ago. Many of them have been owned and occupied by the same owners, mostly small restaurants and craftman's shops like sword shops and kimino shops. I wouldn't call the area beautiful, but it is something we need to pass onto the next generation.


After passing this neighborhood, there is the largest fish market in the world, called Tsukiji (築地). The fish market itself is for professional sellers and buyers only, but there are lots of tiny restaurants and street vendors selling fresh fish around the market. You can have a rice bowl with raw fish for reasonable price (see the picture), or you can buy a bunch of crabs, fishes, seaweeds etc at surprising price, so this is one of the must-go places in Tokyo. If you have a chance to visit Japan, please make some time to visit there!   

2 comments:

  1. I must visit Tsukiji! Good to know that you are continuing blogging! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna visit Shinmotomicho sometimes then. Way to go for resuming on your blogging!

    ReplyDelete